Why do you need an Occupational Health and Safety Management System (OH&SMS) ?
The objective of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 (HSWA) is to promote the prevention of harm to all people at work, and others in, or in the vicinity of, workplaces.
The HSWA applies to all New Zealand workplaces and places 'duties' on the Officers of the PCBU (business) e.g. directors, board members, trustees, chief executives; Workers, and Other persons who are in a position to influence, manage or control hazards and risks.
The emphasis of the HSWA is on the systematic management of reducing risk to health and safety in the workplace.
Click here to Get a Quote
Having in place a fully compliant, fully functioning, systemised, Occupational Health and Safety
(OHS) Management System will benefit your PCBU (business) by:
1. Creating a safe, low risk workplace.
2. Reducing the risk of injury.
3. Reducing injury costs.
4. Reducing other costs associated with injuries such as replacement labour/overtime and lost time costs.
5. Reducing worker sick days through work-related injury (downtime).
6. Increasing worker, client and customer satisfaction and loyalty.
7. Reducing ACC costs.
8. Improving productivity through systemisation of processes.
9. Reducing compliance costs for your PCBU.
10. Making it easier to IDENTIFY the Hazards/Risks.
11. Making it easier to ASSESS the Risks.
12. Making it easier to CONTROL the Hazards/Risks.
13. Making it easier to MONITOR and REVIEW the Hazards/Risks.
14. Making it easier to train and supervise your workers.
15. Helping your PCBU comply with the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 (HSWA), and supporting Regulations.
What are your options ?
1. Do nothing
Wrong choice - You have 'duties' to fulfil under the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 (HSWA), and by doing nothing (or not doing it properly), you are breaking the law. Also, if a WorkSafe New Zealand inspector happened to visit your workplace, there would be a strong possibility of either getting served an infringement notice, an improvement notice, and/or a prohibition notice; getting fined or getting prosecuted. Why take the chance and why put your PCBU (business) at risk, by doing nothing (or not doing it properly).
When it comes to Health and Safety, doing nothing (or not doing it properly) is not an option you want to take !
2. Do it yourself
Wrong choice - as we all know, this is a boring, non-productive, time consuming task (but a legal necessity). And realistically the likelihood of you actually finding enough time (350+ hours) to properly create a fully compliant, fully systemised (one that anyone can operate), fully functioning OHS Management System for your PCBU is almost 'zero'. Also, the on-going time and cost involved in keeping the System up-to-date, current and compliant with all the regulatory changes and updates, makes this prohibitive. Why take the chance and why put your PCBU at risk, by trying to do it yourself.
3. Use a consultant. Normally, all a consultant is trying to do is sell you as much of their 'time' as they possibly can (for as long as they possibly can), and as a result they will not sell you a 'complete' system - one with all the instructions and all the answers - because if they did they wouldn't have a reason to keep coming back to see you, and they would be out of a job. The consultant's 'job' should be one of 'teaching' you how to do it yourself, not doing it for you. Also, if you aren't involved in 'running' the System, you learn nothing and all you end up with is a 'book sitting on the shelf' i.e. a non-functioning system, and a waste of money. You need to have in place a fully functioning OHS Management System, one that you and your Workers, have been properly 'taught' how to operate and maintain. And don't forget that at the end of the day, if something does go wrong, it's not the 'consultant' that WorkSafe NZ takes to court and tries to prosecute - it's you, an Officer of the PCBU. Why take the chance and why put your PCBU at risk, by using a consultant.
Please take note: NZOHS is not 'anti' consultants, in fact we know some great consultants who do a fantastic job, and we work very closely with a number of these consultants on a daily basis. The point that we are trying to make, is this - You must take 'charge' of the Health and Safety in your Workplace, yourself - getting a consultant to come in and do it all for you, is not a 'quick fix' and will not work !
4. Use our 'templated' OHS Management System
The right choice - our OHS Management System is designed to be simple to do, and easy to use. It gives you detailed but simple, step-by-step instructions 'explaining' what to do, and how to do it. Also included is a list of ongoing tasks, and free email and phone support to help get you 'started' and if you do get 'stuck'. All you have to do is read the instructions, and complete the forms - simple. All the hard work has been done for you. Choosing this option will save you a lot of time and money; will put you in 'control' of the Health and Safety in your Workplace, and will help your PCBU (business) by 'reducing the risk'.